Why should I volunteer? / Information
Brony Kindness Network is a small non-profit company based in the United Kingdom, our income isn’t very much, so we need volunteers to help run the organisation. Currently none of our directors/executives nor other staff get paid, we’re all doing this voluntarily out of kindness to the fandom and the individuals in it.
At the time of writing, the only staff which get paid are our artists, who are paid by the commission/project. As artists in the fandom are often underpaid and mistreated, we want to ensure they’re properly compensated for their work, especially if the artwork is used on our merchandise
Volunteering gives you work experience that you can carry over to paid jobs, helps us do our charitable work in the fandom, helps you make friends within the fandom and experience a different side of it, and can help you feel happiness and purpose in life by helping others in need.
Basic requirements to be a volunteer
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be willing to volunteer at least a few hours per week (time requirements vary by position)
- Not have a problematic history (e.g. reports of sexual misconduct, theft, or other bad/illegal behaviour) – exceptions may be made in specific cases where it’s clear you’re no longer a risk to the community
- Have a working internet connection and are willing/able to communicate via Discord
- Have at least some knowledge of the Brony / Furry fandoms
While not required, these things can help, and improve your chances of being accepted for the position you’re most interested in:
- You have previous experience volunteering
- You have previous work experience in general
- You’re well organised
- You attend pony/furry conventions, and are willing to spare some of your convention time to help us during the convention (e.g. vending, running a panel, etc.)
Disabilities / Disorders / Neurodivergence
We are an extremely accepting organisation, we welcome those with physical and mental disabilities or neurodivergence, whether you have mobility issues, autism, ADHD, hearing/sight impairment, or other disabilities/disorders.
While you’re not required to disclose your disabilities, it may be helpful to let us know, so that we can support your accessibility needs if required, and ensure you’re suitable for your roles (e.g. those with severe mobility issues may not be suitable for positions involving a lot of standing/lifting/walking)
We’re also fully accepting of LGBTQ+ individuals, many of our staff are part of the LGBTQ+ community including several of our executive staff members.
Whether you’re trans, non-binary, gay, straight, pansexual, asexual, or any other sexual/gender identity, you’re completely welcome to be part of the BKN, and we will not tolerate any harassment towards you based on your gender/sexual identity or disabilities.
Want to apply to volunteer? Please fill out the form below!
If everything above sounds good to you, and you’re interested in volunteering with us, please go ahead and fill out the form below, and we’ll get back to you within the next few days/weeks 🙂